Tuesday, September 9, 2014

TI-30 SLR+ and Memories of School

I sometimes like to visit pawn shops, because on an occasional basis, I find vintage calculators. Last weekend was a case when I found a Texas Instruments TI-30 SLR+ calculator at Arts Jewelry & Loan pawn shop in Whittier, CA. The keys, slide case, and the reference card are all kept in excellent condition!

The TI-30 SLR+ is probably the closest thing I have to the first Texas Instruments calculator, and second ever scientific calculator, I owned, the TI-30 Stat. This goes back to 1990, I think either in 7th or 8th grade. That is when I learned that "sin" stood for the sine function, not a religious transgression, and "log" had nothing to do with cutting trees.

The original TI-30 Stat was battery powered and practically never left me side. I must have read the manual hundreds of times. Unfortunately, I no longer have the TI-30 Stat, can't remember if I gave it away or it malfunctioned. For a picture of what my TI-30 looked like the datamath.net provides the picture: http://www.datamath.org/Sci/Modern/ZOOM_TI-30Stat_1992.htm

The TI-30 Stat I had turned out to be a later version, as the original version had the 2nd key marked as INV (inverse). I doubt any scientific calculator manufactured today has its modifier key marked INV.

The TI-30 SLR+ is a more advanced cousin of the TI-30 Stat. One of my high school math teacher had several of these.

TI-30 Stat vs TI-30 SLR+

According to their respective operating manuals, the TI-30 Stat stated that it had 54 functions, while the TI-30 SLR+ states that it has 63.

So far the difference between the two that I note, is that the TI-30 SLR+ has the nine following functions the TI 30 Stat didn't:

* degrees to and from degrees/minutes/seconds conversion (2 functions)
* polar coordinates to and from rectangular coordinates (2 functions)
* angle conversions: degrees to radians to gradients back to degrees (3 functions)
* statistical sums Σx and Σx^2 (2 functions)

The TI-30 SLR+ and the miniature TI-25 Stat share the same function set.


Side note: To contrast, today, very few calculators are listed with a count of functions. I think Texas Instruments stopped counting the number of functions when the TI-85 was released in 1992.


This calculator is going to be awesome addition to the collection. Who knew 20-plus years later I would have a collection and have a blog about math and calculators? I didn't anticipate it in 1990.



Eddie

This blog is property of Edward Shore. 2014

4 comments:

  1. Was binging the SLR+ when I found your blog entry. I didn't realize it was a "vintage" calculator, but -after looking at mine, with a stamp of "6 92" on the back- I suppose that's true these days. :)

    One of these days I'll buy the original red LED TI-30 off of eBay, from back when I was in high school. heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey,

      I wish I was in high school/college in the 1970s, that was a golden era for calculators.

      Eddie

      Delete
  2. What's the difference between the 30slr and 30xs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 30-SLR is one line where the 30-XS is multi-line and has more functions than the 30-SLR. The 30-SLR is no longer manufactured.

      Delete

Next Week... and Plans for October 2017

I'm so excited, can't want for next week's HHC 2017 calculator conference in Nashville!  It is my annual calculator conference ...