Monday, July 29, 2013

TI-84+ Color Silver Edition: MathPrint versus ClassicPrint

I have stated that the best way to use programs on the TI-84+ C Silver Edition (and previous editions) that the most efficient way to run programs is in Classic Mode (one-line mode).

This especially comes into play when repetitive loops, like For loops, are involved.

A sample program is shown below. I ran each test twice.

PROGRAM:TEST900
ClrHome
For(I,1,500)
Output(1,1,I)
End
Output(2,1,"DONE")


Times:
TEST900 run in CLASSIC Mode: 7.5 sec, 7.81 sec
TEST900 run in MATHPRINT Mode: 8.75 sec, 9.25 sec

But what if we want to always operate in MATHPRINT mode? How about if we switch to CLASSIC at the beginning of the program and switch back to MATHPRINT in the end? How is the run-time affected?

PROGRAM:TEST900
CLASSIC
ClrHome
For(I,1,500)
Output(1,1,I)
End
Output(2,1,"DONE")
MATHPRINT


The times I got were 9.62 seconds and then 10 seconds. So, as far as this test program is concerned, switching between CLASSIC and MATHPRINT modes does not help.

Disclaimer: This is only one program - and I did this test out of pure curiosity.

Enjoy!

Eddie

Casio fx-9750GIII and fx-CG 50: Playing Games with the Probability Simulation Mode

Casio fx-9750GIII and fx-CG 50: Playing Games with the Probability Simulation Mode The Probability Simulation add-in has six type...